Monday, July 14, 2008

I finally read Hulk #4: Paul checks in

What with parents and booze and yard projects, I've read roughly 15 comics in the past three weeks. I have a stack still of 30 more. So, yeah. This is getting to be like work.

Booster Gold 1,000,000 is AWESOME! Believe the hype! Woo! In truth, it's just really good. A bit sappy at times, but everything turns out pretty well. Plus, someone (a mysterious figure, no less) actually says "Bwa-hahahahaha", which is great. Not looking forward to the Chuck Dixon fill-ins, but this book is just...the bees knees.

Captain Britain and MI13 #3 is great.

Detective Comics #846 is boring. I assume it'll go somewhere, but it's just bland and unappealingly drawn. You know what, I take it back: I'm not sure it'll go anywhere. And if freakin' Trinity is going to ruin Paul Dini's "Riddler P.I." I'm gonna be pissed.

Speaking of which, I just read Trinity #4-6 and, man, what a pile. I mean, when issue 2 is a high point...I just don't know. You know, Alan Moore, through sheer force of will, could write an awesome comic that examined mysticism and the tarot using superhero archetypes (see "Voodoo" or "Promethia"). But it has become abundantly clear that Kurt Busiek does NOT worship a snake god and pretty much learned everything he knows about magic from reading Promethia and Voodoo. And the worst part? I'm probably going to read this whole stupid thing.

Secret Invasion #4 should have been issue 2. If issues 2 and 3 did not exist, no one would be complaining about this book. Or, less people, anyway. It gives me hope.

Then, there's Ultimare Origins #2. Yikes! Ultimate Quasar and Ultimate Watcher and all sorts of terrible Ultimate nonsense. It's just not even ironically funny anymore, just bad. It also illustrates my problem with Ultimate books of late: different writers are picking and choosing the Ultimate continuity, a continuity that has been around for only ten years. It took Marvel well into the 80s to start deliberately ignoring continuity. But I still hold out hope. Maybe it'll become hilariously bad again (I mean, come on, "accidently" creating mutants? Ha!).

3 comments:

Matt said...

I am so glad I'm not reading Ultimate Origins.

Paul Holmes said...

The only good thing about it is the characters don't all sound like Brian Bendis characters (unlike Secret Invasion where even the aliens talk like they're in a Mamet movie).

Matt said...

"Bendis's dialogue is -- UGH! I mean, I just... (I'm trying to think what to say here) I just wish that he would consider trying something completely different."

"Something like ... ?"

"Something completely different."

"Different how?"

"Completely."

"Oy."

"Yeah. It's just -- UGH. You know?"