Thursday, May 22, 2008

I'll take crack for two hundred Alex. And decent comics.

Mighty Avengers # 14- So...what you're telling me is that skrull Jarvis is responsible for Avengers Disassembled/ House of M? That's rad. Gleaming the Cube (or A Brother's Justice) rad is what I have to say. Okay, but here's the thing: in House of M, Spider-Woman a skrull ends up in mutie S.H.I.E.L.D. Think about it. Small thing. Nit picky as hell, but think about it. Has nothing to do with storytelling, quality of work or anything substantive: just plot holes. Whatever. Whole things a tad silly ( John Locke is moving the island and Fonzie is putting his foot in water skis is all.) And now onto the review. It was okay. I don't really care much for the Sentry as the years roll by. The character hasn't really grown in any way since his inception a few years back and is pretty much a Deus Ex Machina/ post modern Bizarro (in the sense that it reflects the core change in the medium's values with a morally static character like Superman. With schizophrenia being a substitute for Superman's dated world view. Or not.) Weakest Avengers SI tie in so far. But, on the bright side, if the other issues weren't way better I wouldn't be holding it up to a such a high standard.

Onto actual reviews. Fantastic Four # 557 - Ted Kord said it best: "One punch!" Seriously though, you have all of this build up and then you have the one Deus Ex Machina go all Rock 'Em Sock 'Em on the other Deus Ex Machina for a two page spread. Kind of weak. Also, "I got you a ring with a galaxy in it." "Oh, I got you the new Dylan and a Sam Goody card." Says it all. Hitch's art is still on point though and Doom gives me a new hope for the next arc. As does Millar's typical kick assery.

Initiative # 13. Like cornbread, there is nothing wrong with it. Also, a lovable Taskmaster makes my heart smile. I still miss the original line up, but whatever. I'm going to get all "Mad Money" for a second and put this book down as a buy, buy, buy. Competent art, new characters that I hate less on sight (Trauma, I am looking squarely in your soon to be dated direction... cuzin'.) and the ever clever Dan Slott keep me coming back for more.

Incredible Hercules # 117. Exposition. Says it all. But, exposition from Herc is better than anything going on in Hulk so there you have it. Things do border on the silly at points though. And we may have some angry pagans by the end of it. All the adequacy you can handle. But, thoroughly engaging for a set-up issue.

Captain America # 38. There is a very reason that there are no copies of much of the Brubaker run at the shop. So good. So much better than his run on Uncanny. And a twist that hasn't made me dumber by proximity. Kudos for that. But in all seriousness (as serious as one can get about capes and tights)... go... now!

Dreamwar # 2. Yeah, not so much. It's like Supreme Power...but with worse art. You know, because it's the team up that literally nobody demanded. (For my dollar I'd rather watch Kal-el go out for drinks with Jesse Custer and Cass any day over this. Even though it would both cheapen every fond memory of any Vertigo book ever as well as disgust all parties involved.) Anyway, mediocre art coupled with typical cross over business equals apathy. But, true to form, I'm still going to buy every issue because I already have the first two. Makes me miss classic Authority (TPBs 1-4) though

Ultimate X-Men # 94. All it takes is a little regime change to revitalize a book. New ideas, a total reset from the Bah, just Bah, Kirkman run and a story arc that doesn't cross the border of ludicrous junction is all it takes for me to enjoy this book again. By total reset I do mean the de-bastardizing of some characters goes on. None of the new characters have their skulls just floating in a head shaped jar. The writing is okay and the Matt Brooks art is from the Bagley school of consistency. Gets the thumbs up. Comparatively speaking.

Ghost Rider #23. S'okay. Gets all Shymalan. Like just about every book this week. But with fewer skrulls.

As for the future yet to come. X-Men Legacy keeps getting better. X-Force is still very much so X-Force (Oh, and Elixir is gold. You'd think they'd have old issues lying around there for reference materials.) Things actually happened in Uncanny. And maybe some of the DC books I read will be out. (JLA was a decent one and done though. With the most Baltimore of any book on the shelf.)

1 comment:

s1rude said...

This was probably my least favorite issue since the title/lead character change, but given how much I have L-O-V-E loved every issue so far, that's still pretty high praise for Incredible Hercules 117. It is standard expository set-up, but it's also humorous and broken up with some solid, well-drawn action. I really enjoy how Pak and Van Lente emphasize Herc's humanity - here by his not believing himself to be leadership material. Sure, it's a little silly, but it knows it and we are talking about an invasion of shape-shifting green aliens who were once defeated by being tricked into turning into cows, so, you know...

I'm really digging this last arc of Ghost Rider. I'll freely admit to getting "crushes" on writers from time to time and I do have one on Jason Aaron right now, but my enjoyment of this book still surprises me. I've never been a GR fan (okay, I may have bought some issues during a Midnight Sons crossover in the 90s, but I'll deny it if confronted with it. But, c'mon, that Hellfire shotgun was sweeeet. Ahem, sorry.), but this book is b-movie crazy fun with some honest to goodness horror touches.