Thursday, May 15, 2008

I'm slow...

Since I'm roughly a month and a half behind on my reading, I have only managed to get through a couple of new books so far. Let's go:

Captain Britain and MI-13 #1 was a good start to what will ultimately be an okay series (I'm guessing). It's a bit strange that this series effectively makes the MAX mini-series Wisdom part of accepted Marvel cannon (along with the Skrull Beatles). What I liked about this issue, as opposed to the mini-series is that it had a plot. The Wisdom mini seemed to bounce around from idea to idea without much coherence or plot betwixt. This, on the other hand, tells a linear, clearly constructed narrative (though it is a toss-off tie-in) and does a pretty good job of it. I just think we won't end up caring about what happens when all is said and done.

X-Men: Legacy #211 is the fourth chapter in a strange new direction for X-Men. The point of the book seems to be to redeem Professor X, a character who has been bloodied by recent retcons by everyone from Brubaker to Bendis to Joss Whedon. Professor X, having been shot in the brain, is trying to piece together his past, as well as atone for his sins. This arc reminds me of reading X-Men books of the 90s: I never quite understood what was going on (because it is SO reliant on continuity), but I enjoyed it because of the sense that there was this long, storied history to all the characters. At this point, it is just okay, but an enjoyable read nonetheless.

Be back tomorrow with more.

Paul

No comments: