Wednesday, June 18, 2008

I don't even know any more.

The book that caused my feelings of unease and self doubt is Ultimate X-men. It started out really kick ass when Mark Millar, author of Kick-Ass, was working on it. And it was still good when Bendis was working on it. And then there was Vaughn, who had some ideas that I didn't gel with at the time, but in retrospect were pretty inspired for an Ultimate book. And then there was Robert Kirkman who should frankly only write his own creator owned books and Marvel Team-Up. (Ant-man was alright, but more so salacious than irredeemable) And Kirkman pretty much dropped a huge, for lack of a better term, deuce on the book. And now we've got Aaron Coliete doing his thing. And while it's less silly and over blown it's still pretty silly and over blown. Just this whole team of suer duper powered hardasses/D.A.R.E created characters are just aren't compelling. I don't know it's just silly, and retcony, but less silly and retcony than the whole Cable-rine/ Sini-lypse thing. So, I'm going to say that it's slightly better, but still crap. Oh, and a lot of people's jacked up powers are just silly...mainly Beak/Angel as well as energy blast dom-Nightcrawler. It's better, but still ass is what I'm trying to say...why do I even care? And then the rest.

Ghost Rider # 24- More of the same it would seem. I'm fairly sure I know where this new arc is going, but I don't know if I care anymore. It would seem that the book has gone into a a perpetual loop of murderous apostles, judgment stare repeat.

X-Factor #23 - Finally, things are happening again in this book. There's a new status quo, there's no stand up comedy and no Arcade with the Arcade mask over the robot mask which coneals the fact that it's actually Arcade. (It seems sillier when you write it out.) Anyway, I'm just glad that the book has gotten out of it's stagnant post MC arc and can continue to be the book that we all remember fondly. (Although the She-Hulk/SI crossover makes me wonder.)

Incredible Hercules #118 - Keeps the high quality of the book. And oddly enough it's the skrull reveal in this book that I actually find to be the most troubling out of any of the prior ones. I'm bein one hundred percent serious. I just like this character more than Hank "Five Across the Eyes" Pym. But that aside you should be reading Hercules.

Secret Invasion: Fantastic Four #2 - I'm a huge sucker for summer crossovers. Even though this one is less compelling than Civil War, but not as inconsequential as WWH I still found myself purchasing this tie in. Personally I know that if I didn't work in a comic book store and take the majority of my pay in comics I would not be picking this up, but I could do worse. Pretty much this book is likable enough piffle. It stays true to the characters, keeps a decent pace and the art's alright. You could do lot worse with your mega event tie ins is all I'm saying. (I'm looking directly at you The Conversation.)

Wolverine #66 - It's probably going to be a pretty good arc. Millar brand fun through and through. I don't know I think everything has been previously covered.

Amazing Spider Man #563 - The best part of this issue is the cover. I think that should sum it all up. Oh, and Spoiler Alert there is no bumper car chase. Bacchalo's on the next arc, I think, so I'll stick with it.

The future - Uncanny X-Men - Is an improvement. Captain America - Is just as good as ever. X-Men Legacy - Keeps the quality, but I fear that the Fonz is revving his motorcycle at the end of the issue. It makes sense (for comics) though, but I don't know how to feel about it. But I'd imagine it's going to stick for as long as Xavier getting skull caped or Darkseid getting space punched or whatever. And the new arc in FF seems to be more entertaining than the last one. Even if it seems to be one of them cross dimensional things that Mark Millar is so fond of. Take it easy internet.

No comments: